The history of the Brussels Griffon is clearly not a particularly old one in comparison with that of many other breeds, though no one seems to know quite how old it is. Many cynologists have claimed that paintings by Jan van Eyck dating back to 1434 depict the Griffon, but then other dog historians claim that the dogs in those pictures are representatives of other breeds.
The breeds involved in the make-up of the Brussels Griffon we know today also vary according to the source. Count Henry Bylandt considered the breed to be the result of a ruby English Toy Spaniel (also known as the King Charles Spaniel) crossed with an Affenpinscher. Others are convinced that the blood of the Yorkshire Terrier as well as the Irish Terrier flows in the veins of the Brussels Griffon. As we shall discover later, the Pug also made its mark on this enchanting breed.
Mrs. Parker Rhodes, of Partridge Hill Kennels, was an early and successful exponent of the breed, and in her opinion the breed existed on the Continent from the 16th century, although there was no firm evidence of the Griffon’s being introduced to England until 1885.
However, we do know that the dog Tom (also sometimes recorded as Vom), who had won at the Brussels Show in 1880, was bought by an Englishman and brought to Britain. Before leaving Belgium, Tom was used at stud and produced a dog called Fox. This male was to become a prominent stud, and is the sire of the very first British champion. There is, though, no record of this import in The Kennel Club Stud Books.
Four Griffons from the 1930s, rendered by the great dog painter Maud Earl. From left to right, these are Park Place Presto, Park Place Pinkie, Eng. Ch. Park Place Paristan and Esperance, all owned by Miss Hall.
A German Affenpinscher, illustrated in the late 19th century.
EARLY DAYS IN BELGIUM
In Brussels it appears that Griffons, or at least dogs very similar to them, wandered the streets, for they were the favorites of the city’s coachmen. They called them “Stable E’curie” and “little street urchins,” and they were kept in the stables to work as rat catchers. These dogs are reported to have traveled in the coaches, and, because of their cheeky expressions, became popular with the ladies as well as with the “cabbies!”
Mr. George Jamison’s Sport, an Irish Terrier from 1875, a feisty, go-to-ground sort likely behind the early Griffons.
The Club du Griffon Bruxellois was formed in Belgium in 1880, following which a breed standard was compiled. At a dog show, the first breed classes were held at the Club in 1883. In 1888 Griffon and Schipperke enthusiasts joined together to form a joint club for their two breeds, and in 1892 a Brussels Griffon gained its crown, becoming Belgium’s first champion in the breed. In the early 20th century Griffons were judged in classes according to weight, up to 3 kgs (6.5 lbs) and 3–4.5 kgs (6.5–10 lbs).
The Irish Terrier, one of the possible founders of the Griffon, was Mr. S. Wilson’s Eng. Ch. Bolton Woods Mixer, who won 2,000 prizes at the turn of the 20th century.
This Griffon appeared in the 1930s with Mme. Landing of France. The original caption which accompanied this photo stated, “These dogs need plucking to give them the coat and appearance so much desired. They were first introduced into England about 1894. This dog is said to be the most extravagant dog in the world.”
LADY HANDLEY SPICER
Shortly following the turn of the 20th century Mrs. H. Handley Spicer, later to become Lady Handley Spicer of the well-known Copthorne affix, wrote extensively on the breed. She talked of the miners in Yorkshire and the Midlands who owned “wiry-coated and wiry-dispositioned red dogs.” These dogs accompanied their masters to work and were stowed away in their overcoat pockets until